School Flu Clinic Information
School Improvement Team Looking for Volunteers
SHS is looking for parents, students, and teachers to serve on the School Improvement Team. Please click here for more information and applications.
Committee to Review Class Rank and Course Weights
The Smithfield Public Schools Strategic Plan has a goal to review the current system for class rank and course weight. By revising the current ranking system, we can recognize more students, emphasize growth, and decrease the level of unhealthy academic competition. We are looking for representation from students, parents, teachers, and counselors to help guide this important conversation. Please click here for more information and applications.
SHS Girls Soccer Team Hosting Two Special Events
Next weekend, two events are sponsored by the Smithfield High School Girls Soccer team to benefit the Smithfield Education Foundation and to honor Doreen Nicholson.
On Saturday, October 6th, at 6 pm, before the girl’s varsity soccer game, the girls will pay special recognition to Doreen Nicholson for all of her contributions to the team. A moment of silence will precede the mini-ceremony recognizing her contributions.
On Monday, October 8th, from 3 to 5 pm at the Smithfield ice rink, the girl’s team will be hosting an open skating party (all ages welcome) with the proceeds benefiting the Smithfield Education Foundation.
The entire community is invited and encouraged to join the team for these events.
No School Monday, October 8, 2018
School is closed for Columbus Day!
- Spirit Week is the week of October 8-12.
- The homecoming game is Friday, October 12th.
- Homecoming Dance is Friday, October 12th after the game.
- Please click here for full schedule of events.
RIPIN Regional Workshop for Parents
Revised Certification Regulations for Teachers
As you are likely aware, RIDE has proposed a number of revisions to the regulations governing the certification of educators in Rhode Island. Many of these changes are quite significant and require ongoing professional learning for all educators. RIDE has scheduled a number of hearings both to provide you with details on these proposed changes and to give you an opportunity to offer your input. We urge you to attend one of these four meetings. Your input is important and necessary. Please note that it is not necessary to register to attend any of these sessions.
Keep in mind that these proposed revisions are likely to impact you and your staff to a significant degree, so please place one of these dates on your calendar.
- RIDE Hearings on Proposed Revisions to the Regulations Governing the Certification of Educators in Rhode Island
- October 1, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.: Portsmouth Middle School (Auditorium), 125 Jepson Lane, Portsmouth –
- October 4, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.: Providence Career & Tech Academy (Auditorium), 91 Fricker Street, Providence
- October 11, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.: North Kingstown High School (Media Center), 150 Fairway Drive, North Kingstown