On Friday, October 9th, the Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) notified us that a student at our school tested positive for COVID-19. We are working closely with RIDOH’s COVID-19 Unit to determine who had close contact with the student who tested positive. A close contact is defined as a person(s) who was within 6 feet of an infected person (with or without a mask) for at least 15 minutes. The RIDOH determined that thirty-two students and two staff members are to be quarantined. These students and staff have been notified and will not return to school until after the defined period.
We are working hard to keep our school community safe and healthy. If your student is experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, please keep them home and get them tested at one of the free PreK-12 testing sites. In the event that a student or staff at our school tests positive, the Rhode Island Department of Health will be notified immediately and will start the process of contact tracing and communication with families. To support fast and efficient contact tracing, it is important that we have the most up-to-date contact information for your student. Please update the Parent Portal to provide the new contact information.
Additional VO Support
As everyone knows, running a hybrid in-person schedule and a virtual schedule at the same time creates many challenges for teachers, students, and families. The SHS staff and administration speak daily about ways to improve the learning experience for all students. We recognize that neither schedule is perfect but we will continue to make it better every day. I would like to thank those of you who have reached out with feedback. It has been helpful. Here are a couple of things we are working on at the moment to improve the VO experience.
- We will continue to encourage staff to utilize more live instruction and provide recordings of lessons.
- We are adding a second VO period for staff to provide additional time to meet with VO students.
- We are creating VO support hours with members of the MTSS team. A school counselor and additional support staff will have a dedicated block of time for VO students.
- We will create a survey for VO students to provide feedback to teachers and administration.
- We will continue to follow-up with the VO students who are not engaging with teachers.
- Department chairs will continue to monitor the use of Google Meets, share best practices, and work on more consistency within departments.
We appreciate everyone’s support and patience. If you have specific questions about a class please reach out to the specific teacher. Thank you!
Virtual Financial Aid Night
The Smithfield High School Guidance Department will host a virtual Financial Aid Night with Stacy Crooks on Tuesday, Oct. 13, from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
If interested in attending, participants are asked to complete the survey at https://tinyurl.com/y5dgc5nu .
Parent Council Mtg.
The SHS Parent Council will host their October meeting virtually this month. Please join them on Zoom on October 14th at 7 pm.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 999 4832 4748
Or dial in via phone:
+1 929 205 6099 US
Meeting ID: 999 4832 4748
- PSAT/NMSQT for Grade 11 A-K
- SAT for Grade 12 A-K
- SAT for Grade 12 L-Z
- PSAT/NMSQT for Grade 11 L-Z